Monday, April 25, 2011

115 / 365 Holding My Breath


Last year my sister gave me some yellow irises from her garden.  Mom had planted these years ago.  I brought them home, carefully selected a spot in the front where my mother-in-law and I could both enjoy them, and then anxiously waited through the winter.  To my delight, the irises have grown like crazy this spring and produced ten buds. 

Unfortunately, over the past few days, I have found blooms just on the verge of maturity snapped and broken on the ground – I’ve lost three so far.  At first I fussed about the yard crew being careless, and then I blamed it on wild raccoons and leaping squirrels.  Finally, I’ve decided that it’s actually fat birds swinging on the stems as they wait their turn at the feeding station.  

No comments:

Post a Comment