Monday, April 11, 2011

101 / 365 East Meets West


Tonight’s meal was a new dish of mandarin orange chicken with stir-fried rice and steamed snow peas.  The kitchen dance was a little more challenging than I had anticipated – stir-frying in two skillets, steaming in another pot, and heating the sauce in the microwave – but it was coming together nicely… until I smelled the aroma of a wood-burning fire.  Imagine my surprise when I noticed that my favorite wooden spoon had started to sparkle – and not in a good way.

H, quietly sitting in the kitchen and reading the paper while I cooked, looked up and asked if I smelled smoke.  I explained the situation as I waved the spoon back and forth under the faucet.  He merely noted that the smoke alarm hadn’t responded (no doubt because I had the exhaust fan on) and went back to reading.  He’s a good man.

No comments:

Post a Comment