Tuesday, September 20, 2011

263 / 365 Furry Friends Indeed


Having learned of unwelcome critters at the church, I called Any Pest, who promptly sent out someone from their wildlife division.   I have worked with them for the past ten years and they have never failed to remedy a situation…  but what amazes me most is their enthusiasm for their job, whether it be bugs or vermin.  Today I learned about the difference between roof rats (Rattus rattus:  closest to Disney-cute for its size) and Norway rats (Rattus norvegicus:  robust body, not cute at all); how droppings can be informative (any shine means a pretty recent visit); and modes of travel (a cinderblock wall is not a deterrent).  It was more than I ever needed to know about these creatures.

After the inspection (with specific instructions given) I thanked the technician and waved him on his way.  With a huge smile, he called back, Hey, no problem – I love to do my job!  We should all have such enthusiasm for our work.

No comments:

Post a Comment