Thursday, January 6, 2011

6 / 365 Will We or Won’t We?


I’m a creature of habit when it comes to the computer.  I learn a specific way of doing something, a particular file path to follow, a certain place to save a document, and I do it the same way every time.  I don’t touch keys I’m not familiar with and I never mess with the cables.  Adventurous is not my middle name.  But sometimes, when I’ve gotten a little too comfortable in my bubble world, I’m forced to step over that line. 

Church Office Crisis:
It’s the end of our work week; the printer is clogged with a mega-document and the computer that it is attached to sits on the floor and has no mouse. The queue must be cleared before the Sunday bulletin will print.  The office closes in half an hour.

My Mind Reacts:
Panic; think, think, think; make a phone call – no help; think, think, think (a little praying always helps); find a spare mouse; plug, unplug, press, click, explore those uncharted pop-up windows, wait.  Is it…what’s that I’m hearing…YES!  YES! It’s connecting! I hear the printer!  The printer is coming on!  We WILL have bulletins for Sunday services!  SUCCESS!!!!!

I can’t wait to get back into my bubble.

1 comment: